Music on Hold

Before you continue reading, we believe it is important for you to familiarize yourself with the requirements, specifically when clients ask you to connect their radio, a CD or a popular song which for example, plays on the Radio.


Do you or your business play music in public? If so, that makes you a Music User!


Music Users who play music in the course of doing business need to pay licence fees. It’s all laid out in the Copyright Act and it’s part of South African law. If the music you play isn’t written, created, performed and recorded by you, it belongs to the Music Creator and you need a licence.


Purchasing a Music Usage Licence from SAMRO gives Music Users permission to play music publicly at their businesses or venues. The funds collected are called “licence fees”. These fees are then passed on to people who made the music as royalty income.


For more information please visit the SAMRO website or click here.


Samro on Telecoms Channel





Phone Number

+27 11 712 8000

Here's the Music you came here for

If you are looking for a single song to use as hold music, this is it:


Good, high quality music perfect for loading multiple tracks:


Some additional sites:


Everything listed here was listed as free for commercial use at the time of publication but please make sure you don’t use any music you aren’t sure is licensed for free use.