Pretoria – The Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (ICASA/the Authority) welcomes the appointment of five (5) new members of the Complaints and Compliance Committee (CCC) whose appointment came as a result of the end of term of the former members in December 2020.
The new members are:
1. Judge Thokozile Matilda Masipa who will serve as the CCC Chairperson (LLB, admitted as Advocate 1991, Appointed Judge of the High Court in 1998), Served as member of the Broadcasting Monitoring and Complaints Committee – predecessor of CCC, Former Chairperson of a Complaints Committee of the Civil Aviation Authority, Former Chairperson of the Transnet Bargaining Council, Deputy Chairperson of the Estate Agency Board and Chairperson of a Disciplinary Committee for Estate Agents)
2. Mr Paris Mashile (Masters Degrees in Engineering & Physics, former ICASA Councillor and Chairperson, Former Board Member of Sentech, Founding CEO of Vunani Electronic Communications to Vunani Capital; Founding Member of the Academy of Regulatory Professionals Public Utility Research Centre (PURC), University of Florida and Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic and Engineering (MIEEE) Membership.)
3. Ms Ngwako Molewa (LLM in Mercantile Law, admitted Attorney, Director of Ergo Sum Consultants, Former ICASA’s Regulatory and Legislative Drafting Specialist, Licensing Officer and Special Advisor to Council, former Company Secretary at Polokwane Housing Company, former Company Secretary at the National Radioactive Waste Disposal Institute)
4. Mr Peter Hlapolosa (B-Com (Business Economics and Industrial Psychology), Master of Business Leadership, Former Vodacom’s Executive Head of Competition Regulation, Former ICASA’S General Manager: Telecommunications Services and Manager: Cost Analysis)
5. Mr Thato Mahapa (LLB, admitted Attorney, former ICASA’s Manager: ECS/ECNS and Licensing Officer, Exco Member of the National Association of Broadcasters; Former Board Member of the Media Development and Diversity Agency, Former Board Member of the South African Communications Forum).
“The CCC plays a critical role within ICASA in that when we receive complaints from stakeholders (licensees and the general public), we need an independent body that will investigate, adjudicate hear and recommend appropriate sanctions to Council for the defaulting licensees. It is equally important in entrenching ICASA’s role as a sector regulator, in our pursuit for sound compliance and enforcement around prevailing laws governing the broader communications sector,” says ICASA Chairperson, Dr Keabetswe Modimoeng.
Dr Modimoeng further commended the newly-appointed for their wealth of experience within the sector. “I have no doubt that the appointees, with their experience and knowledge of the sector, will assist ICASA in reaching solutions that are indeed in the public interest for the benefit of all stakeholders,” comments Dr Modimoeng.
The new members of the CCC will take their oath of office at a brief ceremony to be held at ICASA Head Office in Centurion today, 12 February 2021. The taking of oath will be presided by the Honourable Prof. Dr JCW van Rooyen SC (Previously Acting Judge of the High Court of South Africa).
The CCC is an independent tribunal established in terms of section 17A of the Independent Communications Authority of South Africa Act, 2000 (Act No.13 of 2000) to, among others, investigate and hear, if appropriate and make a finding on all matters referred to it by the Authority; complaints received by it; and allegations of non-compliance with the Act or underlying statutes. Furthermore, the CCC may make recommendations to the Authority to, among others, assist the Authority to achieve the objects of the ICASA Act and the underlying statutes.